Hello, Blog. It's been a while~!
To get you up to speed:
1) 2019: I finally broke free. YAY!!! I finalized and published two (count 'em TWO) books: Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of Virginia, and Tunas and Billfishes of the World. According to my editor, no author that she knows of has ever published two books in the same year. Well, I'm Val Kells, and I've accomplished many feats that no one has before.
2) 2020: Sold the house and moved everything out...by...my...self. Big job. (While I was working on my new Caribbean book, no less.) Below is the aftermath of the snow I dug out of to make room for electrical, plumbing, and and various other trucks that needed to get in to work on the house. "Snow" is a four-letter word in my world...
3) Moved to Freak Union, aka, Free Union (inside joke). Lovely place, but still too far from the ocean.
4) Finally got officially free. BIG YAY!!!! Best money I ever spent :) Freedom means: peace, happiness, quiet, calm, independence, tranquility (same as peace?), and safety. Ahhh... Oh yeah, Tunas and Billfishes book won the Smithsonian Science Achievement Award, and we we honored and awarded at the VA AFS meeting for VA Freshwater Fishes.
5) 2021: After traveling up and down the East Coast in search of my permanent home, I had an epiphany: Outer Banks. This made total sense. The OBX is familiar, wonderful, and I had fishy friends there. I got super lucky, landed an amazing home in Kill Devil Hills, and moved to a drop-dead gorgeous slice of sea-level heaven with great neighbors, quiet and calm, and a fantastic view of Kitty Hawk Bay from the Fish Cave. Yee Haw!